While U.S. has been has been a committed development partner of #Cambodia over past quarter century, recent setbacks to democracy are concerning & have compelled us to review our assistance to ensure American taxpayer funds are not being used to support anti-democratic behavior.
Des sanctions contre les individus et les sociétés qui ont des relations de corruption, de destruction de la démocratie et des droits de l’homme avec le gouvernement de HUN Sen : sanctions économiques contre les sociétés, retrait de l’accès préférentiel aux marchés américains, interdiction de visas aux membres du gouvernement, gel de leurs avoirs financiers.
(1) reaffirms the commitment of the United States to promote democracy, human rights, and the rule of law in Cambodia;
(2) condemns all forms of political violence in Cambodia, and urges the cessation of ongoing human rights violations;
(3) urges Prime Minister Hun Sen and the Cambodian People’s Party to end all harassment and intimidation of Cambodia’s opposition and foster an environment where democracy can thrive and flourish;
(4) urges the Department of the Treasury, in consultation with the Department of State, to consider placing all senior Cambodian government officials implicated in the abuses noted above on the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list;
(5) urges the Government of Cambodia to free Mr. Kem Sokha immediately and unconditionally;
(6) calls on the Government of Cambodia to respect freedom of the press and the rights of its citizens to freely assemble, protest, and speak out against the government;
(7) supports electoral reform efforts in Cambodia and free and fair elections in 2018 monitored by international observers; and
(8) urges the President to communicate to the Government of Cambodia that if it ignores the recommendations of the international community and maintains the current restrictive and intimidating political environment, the United States Government will have no choice but to determine that the 2018 elections were not conducted freely or fairly because the results could not be an expression of the democratic will of the Cambodian people.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.